Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Embassy of Finland, Tel Aviv: Embassy: History of diplomatic relations

EMBASSY OF FINLAND, Tel Aviv

P.O. Box 9101
6109002 Tel Aviv, Israel
Tel. +972-3-745 6600
E-mail: sanomat.tel@formin.fi
English | Suomi | Svenska | 
Font_normalFont_bigger
 

History of diplomatic relations

The good relations between Finland and Israel go back a long time. A solid foundation for bilateral relations was laid already before the proclamation of independence of the State of Israel in 1948. Finland's first de facto recognition of Israel was made by the president, J K Paasikivi, as early as 11 June 1948, just one month after Israel's declaration of independence. Finland officially recognized the State of Israel on 18 March 1949 and diplomatic relations between the two states were established on 14 November 1950. Finland opened its embassy in Tel Aviv soon afterwards in 1952. Israel opened its embassy in Helsinki in 1956.

Finland's ambassadors to Israel

Toivo Ilmari Kala 1952 - 1958
Joel Toivola 1958 - 1961
Risto Solanko 1961 - 1964
Hans Ruben Martola 1964 - 1966
Algar von Heiroth 1966 - 1975
Matti Kahiluoto 1975 - 1981
Paaso Helminen 1981 - 1982
Erkki Mäentakanen 1982 - 1984
Taneli Kekkonen 1984 - 1985
Osmo Väinölä 1985 - 1989
Pekka J. Korvenheimo 1989 - 1993
Arto Tanner 1993 - 1997
Pasi Patokallio 1998 - 2003
Kari Veijalainen 2003 - 2007
Per-Mikael Engberg 2007 - 2011
Leena-Kaisa Mikkola 2011- 2016                                                                                        Anu Saarela 2016-2018

Print this page

This document

Updated 3/11/2019


© Embassy of Finland, Tel Aviv | About this site | Contact information